CIW certifications fall into 4 main categories:
- CIW Web Foundation Series
- CIW Web Design Series
- CIW Web Development Series
- CIW Web Security Series
CIW Web Foundation Series
The CIW Web Foundation series leads to one over-arching certification title, the CIW Web Foundations Associate Certification, and candidates have two routes to achieve this - via three individual exams, or one all-encompasing exam. Candidates who choose the three-exam route will earn a separate title for each of the three exams passed.
3 exam route:
- CIW Internet Business Associate Certification - exam 1D0-61A
- CIW Site Development Associate Certification - exam 1D0-61B
- CIW Network Technology Associate Certification - exam 1D0-61C
1 exam route:
- CIW Web Foundations Associate Certification - exam 1D0-610
CIW Web Design Series
This set of certifications is ideal for entry-level as well as more experienced web professionals who are involved in website design, e-commerce, graphic design and even online business management. There are two certifications that can be taken:
- Exam 1D0-520 CIW Web Design Specialist Certification
- Exam 1D0-525 CIW E-Commerce Specialist Certification
- CIW Web Design Professional Certification
CIW Web Development Series
The Web Development series tests a candidates ability to combine a front-end scripting language, a back-end programming language and the skills to integrate them with a database. The exams therefore are intended for those with a solid web background.
There are three individual certifications that a candidate can earn:
- CIW Database Design Specialist Certification - exam 1D0-541
- CIW Perl Specialist Certification - exam 1D0-437
- CIW Web Development Professional Certification
CIW Web Security Series
The Web Security Series is aimed at web professionals who configure, manage and deploy e-business solutions servers, as well as implement e-business and network security solutions. There are three levels of credential available:
- CIW Web Security Associate Certification - exam 1D0-571. This earns the candidate the certification title of the same name.
- CIW Web Security Specialist Certification - This requires passing exam 1D0-571 plus one other exam from an approved list of third parties.
- CIW Web Security Professional Certification - This requires passing exam 1D0-571 plus two other exams from an approved list of third parties.
While CIW certifications do not officially expire, the rate at which web technologies develop and evolve means that there is likely to be an unofficial 'market' shelf life. CIW do update and revise their courseware and exams although some certification tracks are more up-to-date than others.
Visit the official CIW certifications homepage for the latest in their certification offerings.